Any choir nerds?

Discuss your love (or disliking) for music.

Any choir nerds?

Postby LadyPakenham » Fri Sep 20, 2013 3:23 pm

So I'm kind of a choir nerd. I've been singing in choirs for over five years now, and performed with some amazing acts (including, as mentioned in the "Two Truths and a Lie" thread, Barry Manilow). I left the choir I was in at the time of that show several months ago, with my sights set on a very high-profile group in the area. Auditions were competitive, and I had to wait two weeks for a decision. But I got in, and was even invited to their Choral Scholars program (they waive my dues and music fees, and I participate in special projects related to running the choir). The best part of all is that I get to perform incredible repertoire of a level I have never studied before. Like this stuff:

Byrd's Ave Verum Corpus, which is a prayer and, I believe, is what you hear when you ascend to Heaven. This particular arrangement is also over 400 years old.

Spoiler: show

Britten's Rejoice in the Lamb, which is possibly one of the most bizarre pieces I've ever heard (and probably the most difficult I've ever studied). It's based on poetry written by Christopher Smart—who, by the way, was in a mental asylum when he wrote these lines. It's brilliant and somewhat-confusing at the same time:

And finally, Verdi's Requiem. This is a major choral work, often considered on the same level as Orff's Carmina Burana, and frankly quite comparable. The best known movement is the Dies Irae, which is nothing less than amazing.

I know this is all going to be exciting or extremely boring to anyone who reads this. Is anyone a fellow chorister or just choir fan in general? We can talk about diction, vowel sounds, favorite intervals, Bernstein, performance horror stories, anything geeky.
For more Lokis, Bendytoots Crankydimples and Alex Krillie fanart, please visit my tumblr: http://arbelathewhitehat.tumblr.com/
LadyPakenham

Re: Any choir nerds?

Postby Anateus » Sat Sep 21, 2013 4:38 am

Well, I am in my schools Choral team. But unfortunately, since my school only started its choral program a few years ago, we've yet to place in any of the competitions. Probably because a powerhouse school who always place 1st in every competition (Darn you, St. Paul) *Shakes Fist*

But there's no describing the moment before preforming in front of a huge crowd of people. The moment that we've been practicing for months and the butterflies that randomly spawn inside you. Then you step on to the platform and we all bow in sync, get back up and vocalise our first words. Then when everything is said and done and you start to pant. breathing in and out, in, out. A final bow and we leave the stage. Nothing can beat that feeling.

Anyway, In my final senior year, I've decided to leave the choral team for the debate team. So now, I'm saying my last thanks to the team that stuck with me since my first years in high school.

Thy next foe is...
In the seaside cave...
It moves slowly...
Raise thy courage to defeat it.
Anateus

Postby Kronyklos » Sat Sep 21, 2013 7:31 am

Well, I was in the school choir in Year 3 and 4 if that counts for anything...
If someone's actually reading this, then you're on the extinct forum known as Slenderman's Shadow! Enjoy your 10-minute long stay! Or don't, if you're a bot.
Kronyklos

Postby ScaredSmiley » Sat Sep 21, 2013 4:38 pm

Anateus wrote:But there's no describing the moment before preforming in front of a huge crowd of people. The moment that we've been practicing for months and the butterflies that randomly spawn inside you. Then you step on to the platform and we all bow in sync, get back up and vocalise our first words. Then when everything is said and done and you start to pant. breathing in and out, in, out. A final bow and we leave the stage. Nothing can beat that feeling.

As someone who plays theatre, I can really relate to this, it's such a good feeling.

Anyway, back on topic. I'm not really a choir person myself. Never done it.
Rest in peace best forum ever.

my soundcloud if someone still cares x'D
ScaredSmiley

Postby Sleric9 » Sat Sep 21, 2013 10:54 pm

This is completed un-related, LP, but DAT SIGNATURE <3
But first, let me take an arrow to the knee
Sleric9

Postby LadyPakenham » Sun Sep 22, 2013 12:40 am

It's odd. I have a slightly different experience. I used to get butterflies, and nearly hyperventilate at certain points before/after the show, but now everything feels very controlled. Certainly, there's the presence of adrenaline, and I have to keep my heart from beating too fast (it does mess up long-held notes), but ultimately I wish I could induce that adrenaline during practice. It opens up my lungs, and my voice is suddenly more powerful than it is in rehearsal, but I feel very much in control of the situation. And after the show, I just take a deep breath and return to being my normal "off-stage" self. I suppose it just comes with practice.

Theater and music are very similar in many ways. I myself have never been in theater, but I have a great deal of respect for it and I think we can relate on various levels. :)

And Sleric: With jazz, anything is possible.
For more Lokis, Bendytoots Crankydimples and Alex Krillie fanart, please visit my tumblr: http://arbelathewhitehat.tumblr.com/
LadyPakenham

Return to Music